Pages

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Lenovo X1 Carbon PXE Boot Issues

I  was recently given the nice new shiny Lenovo X1 Carbon to play with and deploy our corporate Windows 7 image to it.  To maintain its slim physique it hasn't got a built in Ethernet adaptor and is supplied with a Lenovo USB 2.0 to Ethernet Adapter.  Obviously we now had to track down the driver to inject to our Boot Image.

Initially we used the Lenovo USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter Driver 5.4.3.0 which PXE booted but then seemed to fail and hang once WinPE loaded up.

I then downloaded the Lenovo X1 Carbon SCCM Driver Pack which came with v5.12.4.0 which also seemed to give me problems.

Eventually I found that it was the manufacturers Vista driver that worked for me.

From the AXIS website you can download the AXIS AX88772B Vista Driver which worked a treat.  With the SSD this was a dream to image and was quite quick in comparison to others.

Hope this helps.

Chris.


6 comments:

  1. Hello Doc Norton,

    got the same problem here using the USB2 to LAN adaptor from Lenovo on an X1 carbon connecting to my WDS server to obtain the image. I downloaded the Vista 64bit driver v.5.10.2.0 and injected it into my PE boot image. When I PXE boot it, it hangs already at the white progress bar. Tried to boot from a USB stick with a discover image on this. It starts up Windows, but then hangs on this glowing Windows Logo screen. Do you have an idea what the problem could be?

    Thanks for your help

    Holger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holger,

    Sorry I've been away for a while and just seen your post.

    Are you just using the Lenovo driver or did you try the AXIS driver from the manufacturers website?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Doc!
    I have a problem. Dongle(p/n:0b67708, date:201311) hang on after "start setup" window. I`ve added vista driver 5.8.2.0 and 5.10.2.0 from asix site in my boot.wim
    How architecture must i use, x86 or x64 for work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    It depends - A 32bit system can use both 64bit and 32bit during the PXE stage so both drivers go in the 32bit image. Only 64bit drivers go in the 64bit PE.

    If its hanging can I suggest you try the dongle in the USB port on the other side! It caught me out at first - just hung until I swapped the ports!

    Thanks

    docN

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!
    I`ll try it.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know if this helped.

I'd really appreciate any comments (well, only nice ones) so please feel free to let me know what you think of the blog and also ask for further help...